Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Farewell to the Baby-Faces Assasin

Ole could possibly be the nicest guy to grace OT (and the most under-rated). He never complained about anything, he just went on with his job and did what he does best, score goals. He joined united when SAF failed to lure Shearer to the club in 1996. He scored 18 goals in his first season. Ole was dubbed by the fans as a ‘super sub’ and who can blame them after he formed a habit of scoring crucial goals for the club in the dying minutes of important games. No one will forget when he came off the bench to score 4 goals in the 8-1 thrashing of Forest and also scoring the greatest goal in Manchester United history…The winner of the 1999 Champions League Final. To date he is the highest scoring sub for United scoring 28 goals off the bench.

His time at United has come now to an end, retiring because of a recurring knee problem that has plagued him since the 2003 season. He will always be remembered in every United fans heart. Ole will remain at the Club in a coaching capacity and will represent Manchester United as an official Ambassador.

Ole said: "I would like to thank the Manager, the coaching and medical staff and most of all the supporters, who have supported me through my career. They have been fantastic and were a real inspiration to me when I was out injured. "The support the fans and the staff showed me during that time was the main motivation for me making my comeback. I feel proud to have represented Manchester United for 11 years and have some very special memories.”

Last year I was lucky enough to get him to sign my 00/01 League shirt. It’s really sad to see him leave but maybe now we will sign the extra striker we need to complete our squad for the season. Ole you will be missed.

Ole's United Honours
  • Premier League (6): 1996/97, 1998/99, 1999/00, 2000/01, 2002/03, 2006/07
  • FA Cup (2): 1999, 2004
  • UEFA Champions League (1): 1999
  • Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
  • Community Shield (2): 1996, 2003

No comments: