Monday, October 8, 2007

Welcome Back Gunners

The first few months of this season have seen a return to what for a long time used to be the standard situation in the Premier League, United and Arsenal occupying the top two places on the table. And I for one am quite happy about it. In fact, anyone who has only followed United/Arsenal or Football for the last 15 years or so could be forgiven for thinking that theirs was the biggest rivalry in England, and not that of United/Liverpool.




Now I am not an Arsenal fan, far from it. There has been far too much rivalry and controversy for that to happen. In fact I hate losing to them almost as much as I hate losing to Liverpool. But I will admit to being a very big admirer of Arsene Wenger and the way he sends the Gunners out to play. And in my opinion, if you do not admire the way they play , then quite frankly, you should not call yourself a football fan. This is not the first season where I have found myself flicking over to their game for a few minutes, even when watching United, I find them that enjoyable to watch.




They have undoubtedly been United's most consistent main rival in the 11 years that Wenger has been there. Historically it has been Liverpool, but they have flattered to deceive for too long now, and on current evidence, this is not about to change. I know Liverpool fans will jump up and down at that statement, but the facts do not lie. Pointing to the FA Cup or Champions League trophies will undoubtedly be one of their responses, but every Liverpool fans knows (or at least should know) that the league title is valued above all others at Anfield, and the fact that it has been close on two decades since they last won it hurts more than many of them care to admit.




It is far too early in the season to be handing out any awards, but I reckon if Fabregas and van Persie can stay fit they will certainly be in the running come player of the year time and in Bacary Sagna, Wenger looks to have uncovered another gem. Comparisons with the "Invincible" Arsenal team are also coming way too soon, but as far as potential goes, I think they might be be better. As far as young talent is concerned, Arsenal and United certainly seem to be in pole position.


However , the true test of this young Arsenal team will over the rigorous Christmas period and when they lose a number of players to the African Nations Cup in January, but I for now am relishing watching as a very familiar battle re-commences. ( And the football is certainly better than watching Chelsea)

No comments: